Less than 5% from companies know how to motivate their employees and not even 1% don’t conducts a survey to find what are the driving forces that motivates company employees.
How come you don’t forget to put gas in your car tank? To go with your car from point A to point B you need to fill up your gas tank. How come , to take your company from point A to point B you forget to motivate your employees? When you buy a car you pay a sum of money but the engine is not working without gas. When you hire new employees you pay them salary and think they should run without any motivation .For how long?
When you buy a car you have to put gas in your tank, you check oil, you make every six months visit for maintenance check , wash it , change winter tires when snow season arrive etc. Why you’re not doing the same with your employees?
Why you don’t treed your employees like any other assets within your company? When you buy an equipment you know that needs power , some maintenance , to remove dust from time to time in order to be functional at normal capacity. Why do you think that your employees needs only pay check in order to function very well forever? How many of you made a survey within your company to see what motivates them? Do you think pay check and bonus or commission will make them run smoothly forever? Let me tell you that it doesn’t .
When you are in first stage of a marriage or relationship and your wife/girlfriend tells you to pick up the garbage and take it to garbage can what are you saying ? ” Yes my dear, I’ll fly till the garbage can”. You will answer the same after 3, 5, 10 years? Your answer after 10 years will not sound like” What do you think I’m the genitor? You take the garbage.” You know why? Because everything it’s around us for a long time get’s old if we don’t change something. If I’m giving you a million bucks to dig a hole you’ll do it immediately. If I will give you another million to dig another hole you’ll do it again. But at one point this million gets old and you won’t do it. Your employees job gets old if you don’t do anything about it and their results will be lower compared with the beginning of their job. No matter how big is the pay check or commissions/ bonus.
All your employees has 6 needs .But each one of them have 2-3 needs that define the character of each individual. Those 6 needs are:
1.Security, certainty about their job and about the future of the company .They constantly want to know that they have a secure job, will not be fired and the management of company knows where to go. They need to know that the company have a good future. This feeling of certainty can be done showing to all employees where the company goes and how will reach the objectives. It’s very important to constantly communicate with all your employees about company objectives.
2.Variety that every employee needs in order that their job not to become old. This feeling of variety can be done by exchanging places for 1 day/1 week Ex: Store rep will go to logistic department for a day to work there; Accountant will go in a shop to work 1day/week.
3.Importance for the company is another need of your employees that is ignored most of the time. Employees needs to feel that they are important for the company, they are a valuable asset.This feeling of significance can be done by:
– Incentive programs for company employees.
– Diplomas every month for top departments employees.
– A Diplomat Club Billboard for top employees/ month.
– President of the company or CEO invite at dinner every month top employees of each department.
4. Connection, part of the group need is when your employees feel they have as second family at work, they are proud working within the company. This feeling of connection can be done by:
– Team buildings.
– Each location ( stores in different cities) should have a “Go Out Together Program”- theater, movies, sport events, barbeque.
– Other actions made together as a team.
5.To Grow -is one of the most important need of your employees . This need is causing lack of motivation for more than 80% of employees. Employees needs to feel that they are growing ( or they are dying professionally)They need to feel progress working there, that are making steps of achievement .
- This feeling of growing can be done by changing the titles of company positions and reward growing: Ex
- Sales rep junior junior buyer
- Sales rep senior Senior buyer
- Sales rep master master buyer
- Shop manager buyer manager
Set rules and rewards for achieving steps. Set a time frame( 18 months) and a reward ( 10% increase in salary ).
- Employees needs to feel that they can help their coworkers, team members, subordinates .
- Employee needs to feel that they are contributing to the society.
- They will perform better being part to an entity who contribute.
- This feeling of contribution can be done by:
– Being sponsor to an orphanage
– Organizing found raises for orphanages ( with best clients and best collaborators).
– Going every Easter and Christmas at orphanages or poor people shelter with company employees.
All your employees have all this 6 needs, but each has 2-3 needs that dominates their character . Make a survey within your company employees to find out what are the most important needs of your team members. Each manager should know what motivates their team members in order to know what buttons to push to get the best results from them.